Nowhere else but Outback Queensland can you sleep under star-studded skies, bond with a bushman over a beer, dig for million-years-old dinosaur fossils and watch camels race against the clock. Beyond the Great Dividing Range the sky opens up over tough country, both relentless and beautiful. Travellers come for the exotic and intimate Australian experience, their restlessness tamed by the sheer size of the place, its luminous colours and its silence.
Whether you're planning a short trip or a long holiday, Outback Queensland is an adventure waiting to happen.
Longreach ... literally is a long reach from anywhere, however it was named because of the 'long reach' of the Thomson river which this wonderful outback town lays beside. Situated 1170km north-west of Brisbane in the 'heart' of Queensland's outback, Longreach is surrounded, and supported, by some of Australia's best grazing country. Discover unique flora and fauna and marvel at the diversity of landscapes in all seasons of the year. Longreach locals invite you to share the outstanding regional attractions.
- Qantas Founders Museum - only one of two places in the world where you can walk on the wing of a plane!
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame - pays tribute to Australia’s pioneering legends and outlines our Outback history. Includes artefacts, electronic displays, photographs and films
- Drover's Sunset Cruise - including Smithy’s Outback Dinner & Show. Relax with 360-degree, top-deck views on the fully licensed MV Explorer as your captain brings alive stories of the river, its wildlife and Indigenous links.
Winton, located 177km northwest of Longreach, has a rich history as the birthplace of Waltzing Matilda and QANTAS as well as links to the Great Shearers' Strike of 1891, but is just as well known today for something far more ancient ... DINOSAURS.
Must do experiences in Winton
- Australian Age of the Dinosaurs - home to the world’s largest collection of Australian dinosaur fossils, including some famous ones such as Australovenator (Banjo) and Diamantinasaurus (Matilda). It’s also the site of Australia’s largest fossil preparation laboratory!
- Waltzing Matilda - legend has it that on April 6th, 1895, the North Gregory Hotel was the site of the first public performance of ‘Waltzing Matilda’. The Hotel has been destroyed by fire three times, the latest in 1946. Pop in for a coldy and enjoy!
- Opal fossicking - opalton (just outside of Winton) offers visitors the opportunity to fossick for opals. You will need a fossicking permit though, and this can easily be obtained from the Winton Visitor Information Centre.
Spirit of Queensland
Previously known as the Sunlander, the Spirit of Queensland train journey travels 1681km from Brisbane to Cairns five times a week.
Discover what relaxation is all about aboard the Spirit of Queensland. As it journeys the Queensland coast between Brisbane and Cairns, experience the contemporary and comfortable design with state-of-the-art entertainment options. Choose to travel in a Premium Economy Seat, with its leather seats and generous legroom, or upgrade to a RailBed, a spacious seat by day converting to a lie-flat bed at night. All guests have access to the Club Car, while RailBed customers will enjoy the added benefit of all-inclusive meals being served to their seat. Combining the convenience of efficient service with the romance of long-distance rail travel, the Spirit of Queensland will have you relaxed from the moment you step on board until you arrive at your destination.
The Infinity Experience
Blog posts not currently available.
See How the Others LivedOutback Queensland
Take in the Colours of an Outback SunsetOutback Aussie Tours
Stockman's Hall of FameOutback Aussie Tours