Bay of Plenty
A Bountiful Harvest of Holiday Experiences
The Bay of Plenty offers a bountiful harvest of holiday experiences with pristine white surf beaches, friendly locals, Maori culture, and a thriving wine and food culture, based on locally grown produce and seafood, making this an extremely appealing destination.
Tauranga, the region’s hub, is a flourishing commercial town located beside the magnificent Mount Maunganui and sits at the entrance to one of New Zealand’s largest natural harbours, a popular stopover for cruise ships. Divers will enjoy the selection of reef and wreck dives, and the region is renowned for its deep-sea fishing opportunities. The city is also ringed by citrus growers, including orchards of iconic kiwifruit, as well as avocado plantations and fragrant herb farms.
Mount Maunganui, just five minutes from Tauranga, is an ideal place to hike off that big lunch, before relaxing in local hot salt-water pools.
For the adventure traveller, Whakatane is the jumping-off point for the fascinating moonscape of White Island, the country’s only active marine volcano. Be sure to take a tour out to this seething mountain of mud pools, vents and a crater lake, all rising out of the bay.
- Look Out for a Dolphin: The Bay of Plenty is home to thousands of Common Dolphins – a common sight when enjoying the bay.
- Marvel at the Giant Kiwifruit at Te Puke: Enjoy a ride in a Kiwi cart and taste all manor of Kiwi-inspired products.
- Katikati: There are over 40 murals adorning the buildings of Katikati, or if very short poems are your thing, take a stroll on the Haiku Pathway.
- Mt Maungani: Climb to the summit of Mt Maunganui for fantastic 360-degree views of the Bay of Plenty.
- Ohope Beach: Visit Ohope Beach in Whakatane which has been described as one of the most beautiful in New Zealand.
- Bird Gardens: The Bird Gardens at Katikati are a wonderful place to relax and observe native and introduced bird species among water features and gardens.