Simple Pleasures, Complex Beauty
Amid a nation of beautiful islands, Phi Phi still manages to stand out, offering unspoilt coves, undeveloped beaches, coral reefs and limestone cliffs. Located a boat trip away from either Phuket or the mainland at Krabi, Phi Phi comprises two idyllic islands, Phi Phi Lee and Phi Phi Don.
Phi Phi Lee (all six square kilometres of it!) has no permanent residents but does accommodate day-trippers who wish to visit the breathtaking setting that was chosen as the backdrop to the 2000 hit film The Beach. You may also wish to visit the famous Viking Cave with its prehistoric paintings and where men climb flimsy bamboo scaffolds to collect swifts' nests from the cavern walls.
Dumbbell-shaped Phi Phi Don is fringed with white sandy beaches, rugged rock cliffs and tropical rainforest. The island's beaches offer beachside bungalow and chalet accommodation to suit all travellers.
Keen snorkellers shouldn't miss the particularly excellent snorkelling at Maya Bay, a stunningly beautiful clear-water bay surrounded by high cliffs, or hire a longtail boat and take your time exploring the hidden beaches and treasure coves on neighbouring islands.
When you're ready to take a break from the silky-soft sands, the area immediately adjacent to the fishing village offers bars with live music, restaurants, cabarets, souvenir shops, dive centres and plenty of excursions, including kayaking, caving and climbing trips.
- Fun for Everyone: If it's frivolities you're seeking. Carlito's Bar has a reputation for putting on a good show, day and night. Fire twirlers and international DJ"s liven up the atmosphere with tunes to evoke the fun festival vibes within.
- View the Bays: Enjoy the bays from the water on a long-tail boat ride. Wonder in the sights of the stunning limestone scenery and sheer cliffs, and look below to see soft coral gardens teeming with fish.
- Hire a longtail boat for the day: Take full advantage of the beautiful surrounding islands, such as Phi Phi Lee, exploring secluded beaches and coves
- Explore by kayak: Enjoy the island from the water with plenty to see. Paddle with, or swim beside, benign Black-tip Reef Sharks. Visit the the smaller islands, caves and blowholes that surround.
- Bamboo Island: Ko Mai Phai (Bamboo Island) is situated just north of Phi Phi Don. There is excellent crystal-clear snorkelling here, and the shallow waters an array of tropical marine life